Monday, October 24, 2011

1/1



Starting the season off right!  One shot through the neck, off hand, with the .22, at ten yards.  

Yesterday, Bob, Justin, Levi and myself headed for Granite Creek up in Lolo.  It rained on and off for most of the day, but we did check out the river boulder with shartmonster on it.  Enormous to say the least.  Unfortunately it only holds a couple of lines and most of the roof is blank.  We bailed and went for a search of birds and boulders up an old logging road near the border.  About 20 minutes into the hike I paused, heard some brush move and eyed a rather big Blue Grouse.  The nice thing about shooting mountain grouse is that you don't have to use a shotgun.  More of a challenge and less of a mess.  Needless to say, Victoria and I ate well last night.  Bacon wrapped grouse breast, roasted in white wine and garlic.  Turned the drippings into gravy, and had farm rolls and parmesan rice with it.

One thing I noticed was the unbelievable amount of elk shit scattered on the road.  Perhaps I'll find myself in Granite Creek before sunrise on Sunday with the .30-06 and an elk tag.


1 comment: