Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Masochistic March

Yes, it's that time of the year, the last minute diet, tendon wrecking work outs and finger sweating video viewing.  I look forward to shedding a few pounds, but that's hard when PBR was 25 cents at the Palace tonight.

Just a few things to touch on, because I didn't get a chance to get outside this weekend as I was making some money photographing a wedding out in Columbus, MT.  It was a great event, fun to shoot and I got to spend some time with family in Billings.  Namely my grandmother, who is 90 this year, was great to chat with.  It was my first actual "grown up" talk with her and I learned a bit of family heritage.

I'm 90% sure of canceling my membership at Freestone in the coming days.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great place for the climbing community of Missoula, filling in a serious void that has been lurking since the Rock Garden closed 4 years ago.  That being said, it's not worth $60 a month for Victoria and I to climb.  Terrible setting and a constant, never ending stream of gumby dickheads cloud visions of getting stronger.  I realized today that I went from V5 to V8 in a matter of a few months at the woody and I haven't made any progress at the 6 months at Freestone.  Campus board and woody sessions begin tomorrow, needless to say.

Another thing to speak on:  Iron Man Traverse in Bishop.  I was talking to Slamarama Dogan Johnson on the phone today about his excellent and successful trip to the land of Bishes and we got talking about projects for when Victoria and I go for spring break.  He suggested I hop back on Iron Man Traverse, a climb I tried briefly 3 years ago.  It's odd that he mentioned it, because I've been watching a lot of videos to look at projects and there is always the Iron Man Traverse in them.  Wills Young from the Bishop Bouldering blog said it might be the most often tried V4 in the world.  That's probably true.  Clearly it's known as a classic, but why?  Sure, there is great history behind it, but does that warrant 4 stars?  I don't think so.  This is why climbing is so great, it's one of the most subjective sports/activities/hobbies ever.  To me, I don't see a 4 star line, I see a dumpy, lowball TRAVERSE, that barely climbs up.  This is the exact opposite of what I look for in lines.  But that's what is great about bouldering.  If you are into highballs, traverses, eliminates, dirt-diggler starts or all of the above, there is bound to be something for you.

Weather is looking "meh" this weekend.  Maybe, just maybe, stone will be dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment